Thursday, October 20, 2005

"Wit"

I watched "Wit" (starring Emma Thompson) the other night. The main character, a middle aged English Professor, is diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer, and takes the viewer along on her journey through treatment. It's really quite good, but very different. It left me with a really odd feeling - like I was going to die! Of course, I am - eventually. So maybe it's just that the movie brought to the forefront that knowledge which we usually choose to ignore until it hits us in the face - when 'our time is up'.

I'm curious how other people felt about the movie.
  • Did I have this feeling only because the movie was so well done that I was 'sucked into' the story?
  • Did it hit me like it did because a part of me really knows that 'my time' is about up?
  • Did it make death seem so 'scary' only because it left out the element of the eternal nature of the spirit, returning to live with our Father in Heaven?
  • Did I only buy into the fear of death, due to Emma's masterful performance of her character's fear?

The movie was not only well done, but very unique in the way it was done. It really helps you to understand what it might be like to be dying of cancer.

It also makes you think about what is really important in this life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved W;t when I read it and even more when I saw the Emma Thompson production. Simply fabulous.