Sunday, September 17, 2006

Book Discoveries

It just occurred to me that since I was injured in May of 2005 (and unable to work and need to rest frequently), I’ve read about 40 books! Twenty-three of them were parts of three different series:
The Work and the Glory by Gerald Lund
The Mitford Series by Jan Karon
The Number One Ladies’ Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith

In addition, I’ve discovered what I call ‘the Christian novel’ and found some fantastic authors! They're not connected to any particular denomination. The stories include characters who struggle to apply Christian principles to resolve the problems in their lives. But at the same time, these books all have intriguing plots that aren’t about ‘religion’. I liked them because they're interesting, uplifting, and well written. Just to give you an idea, some of them were 500 - 600 pages long, but the kind that you can't put down. I read several of them in just 2 or 3 days - and I don't consider myself a fast reader.

In case you’re interested, I’ve made a list of some of my favorites. (With only one exception, they are all of the category I just described.) My very favorites* are starred.

By Lynn Austin:
Candle in the Darkness* (civil war)
Wings of Refuge* (an archeological dig in Israel)

By Elizabeth Berg:
The Art of Mending* (family relationships)

By Liz Curtis Higgs:
Bookends (contemporary romance)
Mixed Signals (contemporary romance)
Thorn in My Heart*
(based on Biblical story of Jacob)
Fair is the Rose* (same as above)
Whence Came a Prince*
(same as above)
Grace in My Eyes* (sequel to above; based on Biblical story of Dinah)

By Francine Rivers:
Leota’s Garden* (family relationships)
The Scarlet Thread (saving a marriage)
Redeeming Love*
(story of a prostitute; based on Book of Hosea)

3 comments:

B.G. Christensen said...

Wow. That's an impressive list for so short a time. I'll check some of these out when I have a chance.

Anonymous said...

I'm flattered you're impressed! Actually, since I published this post, I've thought of several books I hadn't even counted. But still, when you divide it by 16 months, it's not that many books/month. But 2 hour rides on the Handi-Van just to get to an appointment 30 minutes away allows for a lot of reading! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm here from the TMIC. :) I love the Mitford series and many of Francine Rivers' books. Liz Curtis Higgs' series paralleling Jacob's story were riveting.

Some of my other favorite Christian novelists are Terri Blackstock, Dee Henderson, Karen Kingsbury, Beverly Lewis, and Lori Wick. I've read a little of Ted Dekker, too -- the Circle trilogy and Obsession are real page-turners with a lot of thought-provoking material as well.